Are your patio and deck ready for summer fun? After being left alone all winter, there’s a good chance it may need some freshening up. While you are doing your spring cleaning for you house, you can clean up your back yard as well so it will be ready for the many outdoor dining events you want to throw this summer. Here are just a few tips to help you make your patio and deck sparkle and shine.
Spring Cleaning Tips
- Concrete- Do you have a concrete patio? Getting rid of the dirt and grime on concrete is simple. Just take ten parts of water and one part of an environmentally safe cleaner and mix the two together. Pour the solution over the patio and let it set for 15 minutes. You can then scrub it with a stiff broom and rinse it off with your garden hose. If you have hard-to-remove stains on the patio, add a cup of bleach to the solution as well.
- Siding and Steps- Even if you have the most beautiful outdoor dining space, it’s beauty can be ruined by dirt and mildew on your siding or steps. Power wash these areas, but be careful. If your steps have tile on them, the tiles could become loose under the pressure of the power wash.
- Outdoor Furniture- Wicker and synthetic rattan are the best options for outdoor furniture. Why? They resist dirt, mildew, and stains. This makes your spring cleaning a snap. Use a soft brush and some mild dish detergent to make your wicker shine like new and then rinse it off with your garden hose. Let it completely dry in the sun before you place the cushions back on the furniture.
- Lighting- Outdoor lighting can become dusty and dirty as well, so you will want to make sure to clean it. Take a soft microfiber cloth and gently dampen it with water; wipe down the lighting completely. Avoid using any type of chemical cleaners; they can often leave a thin film on the lighting. Also, be sure the lighting is turned off before you begin cleaning.
- Cushions- The cushions for your outdoor furniture may have been in storage all winter, but that doesn’t mean they don’t need a good cleaning. If the cushions have removable covers, take them off and follow the directions on the tag for washing them in your washer and dryer. If the covers are not removable, use water, mild detergent, and a sponge to scrub them clean, then allow them to dry out in the sun.
- Umbrellas- Are you using an umbrella over your outdoor dining table? Umbrellas are an excellent way to block the sun and the rain, but they are often prone to the development of mildew. Use an environmentally safe cleaning solution and warm water to get rid of any mildew that is present, then rinse off the umbrella. Leave it open so it can dry completely.
Do you want your patio and deck to sparkle and shine this summer? With these spring cleaning tips, your outdoor dining space can be clean and ready for fun in the sun.